Friday, January 18, 2013

Thesis Acknowledgements

Ketika semua selesai dan thesis akan diserahkan untuk dijilid, saya menambahkan kata-kata ‘Acknowledgements’ di dalamnya. Di bawah ini adalah apa yang saya tuliskan di situ:

The writing of this thesis has taken longer time than I have earlier expected, but the process has been rewarding. This topic grew out of my curiosity after observing the confusion among today’s church members about mission obligation. On the one hand, some people assert that only some are called to be the evangelists while the rest need only to support them, thus the drive for mission in the church is weakened. On the other hand, some people assert that each individual believer has the responsibility to do the active evangelization, i.e. go and preach, thus induces unnecessary “guilty feeling” in those who think that they are not called nor gifted to do so. It was this curiosity that has provided energy for me to finish this thesis.

I would like to express my gratitude to my supervisor, Prof. Tan Kim Huat. I remember that when, for some reasons, I withdrew from the college in my second semester, he invited me to keep attending his lectures although they should be held at the Coffee Bean because of me! His kindness and his commitment to teach have deeply touched me. Moreover, this thesis will not be as it is without his critical comments and helpful suggestions. If the final result of this thesis is deemed unsatisfactory, the responsibility for that rests solely on my shoulder.

My gratitude also goes to the leaders and members of my church back in Jakarta, Gereja Kristus Yesus - Jemaat Green Ville. They allowed me to pursue further study and supported me all the way. Thanks, too, are due to the leaders and members of Gereja Kristus Yesus – Singapore, whom I ministered during my study. They have been very understanding and supportive though many times they found that their pastor was not able to do more due to his long hours of research in the library. Their prayer and loving support will always be remembered.

I must also thank my family. My parents in Indonesia have been very supportive, though never did they fully understand why their son should go to study theology in Singapore. My brother and sister have always been supportive too. My brother in law has set aside his time to read the draft of this thesis and gave many helpful suggestions to make it more readable.

Last, but not least, the lion’s share of my gratitude must go to my wife, Yudith. This thesis often took time which could have been spent with her. She was always there to be my “prayer-warrior” and constant source of encouragement during that hectic period of full-time study and full-time pastoring. And so I dedicate this thesis to her with the prayer that the Lord may grant us many more opportunities ahead to work hand in hand in His mission field.

To God be the glory!